Monday, February 12, 2007

whence order arose

"I have never doubted the truth of signs, Adso; they are the only things man has with which to orient himself in the world. What I did not understand is the relation among signs... I behaved stubbornly, pursuing a semblance of order, when I should have known well that there is no order in the universe."

"But in imagining an erroneous order you still found something. . . ."

"What you say is very fine, Adso, and I thank you. The order that our mind imagines is like a net, or like a ladder, built to attain something. But afterward you must throw the ladder away, because you discover that, even if it was useful, it was meaningless. Er muoz gelichesame die leiter abewerfen sô er an ir ufgestigen... is that how you say it?... It's hard to accept the idea that there cannot be an order in the universe because it would offend the free will of God and His omnipotence."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I noticed you read some of Eco's works. Did you like Foucault's Pendulum? What are your thoughts on it and on his works in general?

iceberg said...

Of the three I've read, I absolutely loved Baudolino, which incidentally I find eerily reminiscent of Neal Stephenson's latest tome,The Baroque Trilogy. These are both surreal adventures similar in tone, prose and historic settings that whip back and forth between reality and the characters' fevered delusions. Its up to the reader to decide which parts are "objective" to the story.

I also thought that Foucault's Pendulum was good, but perhaps because I lack the ken to "get" all his jokes, I fear it warrants a revisit.

I'm looking forward to it when I've become more rotund on the subjects of semiotics and ontology in general.